The majority of the work performed by BHAA and BHF leadership and board members on behalf of the BHRC project is being done on a pro bono basis. The costs associated with mailings, events and the website, however, must be covered by charitable contributions from alumni and friends. We rely on your support to maintain progress on the project.
Please consider supporting BHAA financially by making an annual gift or pledge to the Bowles Hall Foundation, an established IRS 501(c)3 nonprofit California corporation. All contributions are tax-deductible to the extent provided by law. In addition to one-time or recurring gifts, you can also support the reestablishment of Bowles Hall in the following ways:
- Participate in our new annual giving program at one of the established giving levels ($2,500/$1,000/$500/$250)
- Make a one-time donation
- Make a pledge for future contributions
- Organize a class gift with those with whom you lived at Bowles Hall to sponsor a room
- Give a gift of stock (you can deduct the full fair market value of the gifted stock on the date of the gift, not just what you originally paid, thus making a meaningful gift and bypassing capital gains taxes)
- Contribute from your IRA
- Remember a friend or loved one with a memorial gift
- Honor a friend, family member or colleague
- Include Bowles Hall in your estate planning through a life-income gift or traditional bequest
- Honor a special occasion such as a birthday, anniversary or other milestone with a contribution
- Take advantage of your employer’s matching gift program
- Support special events and fundraisers through attendance, participation or in-kind donations
Although the nine arcade and patio benches and the landscaping have been spoken for, many opportunities still exist to have your name attached to Bowles Hall. Contact Chuck Sizemore at email@example.com or (650) 776–7706 for more information.
- $2 million: Hall Principal’s Position
- $1 million: Central Lounge – TAKEN
- $750,000: Historic Dining Commons – TAKEN
- $500,000: Kitchen
- $350,000: Room/Board Scholarship
- $300,000: Patio – TAKEN
- $250,000: Hall Principal’s Apartment
- $100,000: Game Room – TAKEN
- $20,000: Student Rooms (90 available) – 33 TAKEN
- $15,000: Large Student Lounges (4 available) – TAKEN
- $10,000: Small Student Lounges (4 available) – TAKEN
We seek to raise $5 million in an endowment fund to support the Housemaster (a UCB faculty member and family), Dean and Graduate Student residents who will live in the Hall, as well as programs supporting students who live in the Hall. Although current financial projections indicate that Bowles Hall can be virtually self-funding as a residence hall, to supply the “Bowles Hall Experience” (live-in Housemaster, mentors and the academic and social interaction from such a community) in a residential college setting, sustainable additional income from an endowment fund must be secured. Because BHF will lease the Hall from the University and operate it, we cannot ask UCB to support the costs associated with creating a unique, residential college experience.
To make a monetary contribution or pledge your commitment, please download and print a donor form and mail it with your gift. Or you can donate online and pay via PayPal.
If you have any questions or would like to discuss your contribution, please contact Chuck Sizemore, BHF Director of Development, at (650) 776–7706 or send us an email.
Contributing tax-free from your IRA: Congress made this option permanent in December, 2015. This means individuals age 70.5 or older to donate up to $100,000 from an IRA directly to BHF tax-free to the extent provided by law. Such a gift would be considered a transfer, thereby lowering the donor’s Required Minimum Distribution for the year in which the gift was given.
Giving a gift of stock: By donating appreciated stock, you can receive a charitable deduction for the full fair market value of the stock on the date it was given to BHF and avoid incurring capital gains taxes. To take advantage of this opportunity, please take the following steps:
- To avoid unidentified gifts, please contact Chuck Sizemore, BHF’s Director of Development, at (650) 776-7706 or firstname.lastname@example.org to notify him of your intention to make a securities gift to the Bowles Hall Foundation.
- Discuss with your broker or financial adviser the exact shares you wish to donate (remember, the shares must have appreciated in value and been held for one year to obtain maximum tax deductibility).
- Once you have determined which shares to donate, provide written instructions to your bank or broker, and copy Chuck at email@example.com. A sample instruction letter might read:
Per our recent telephone conversation, I wish to make an irrevocable gift to the Bowles Hall Foundation of ____ shares of ______________ (name of security).
4. Please ask your broker or bank representative to transfer the shares electronically to the Bowles Hall Foundation’s account at Charles Schwab & Company, Inc., as follows:
Charles Schwab & Co., Inc.
FBO Bowles Hall Foundation
Account No. 5552-2746
Phone: (800) 435-4000
5. Ask your broker or financial institution to send a confirmation communication (letter or email message) to you, with a copy to Chuck Sizemore.
If the securities certificates are in your possession, please contact Chuck Sizemore for specific instructions on transferring the shares.